Wednesday 14 May 2014

Numbers Increasing







 Ideal habitat


I had four sightings yesterday, at least three voles. One of them was the one-eyed water vole I've been paying particular attention to, and it's amazing how well this animal copes, considering the impact there must be on its peripheral vision. I haven't spotted any young yet, though.

I include this photograph of butterflies I've just hatched. You send off a voucher and get five tiny painted lady caterpillars in a pot, complete with food. When they pupate, you transfer them to a netting hatchery, and then only when the adult insects emerge do you have to feed them (with sugar water or fruit). I'll be releasing mine tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photographs as always- I think I could look at water voles all day :-)

Fascinating about the Painted Ladies. I saw them in Devon for the first time last year. Incredible flutters.

Kate said...

I was surprised (though shouldn't have been) to see painted ladies in Spain. Apparently they migrate.