Thursday 9 July 2009

White Lion Meadow update


Troublesome fleas?

The banks at Whie Lion Meadow (photo above and below)


I'm aware I haven't posted a photo of a White Lion Meadow water vole since May. This isn't because they're not there - a brief look tonight revealed well-used burrows and slip-ways, plus feeding on both sides of the bridge (see photo directly above). It's because, I think, the vegetation's now so dense that hardly anything under it's visible, so we just aren't getting the sightings. This is great for the voles, of course, so I'm not complaining.
.
Meanwhile I've been watching another colony, and managed to tempt this large adult out with a bit of apple. I definitely wouldn't encourage regular feeding of wild voles because it can make them vulnerable to predators if you put food out in the same place and at the same time, plus leftovers can encourage rats. But as a one-off, it's fine. This chap isn't complaining, anyhow.

No comments: