Saturday 27 March 2010

First Sighting of 2010!


Feeding station is in the very centre of the picture - the cut green shoots lying on the mud.

Another latrine in the field near my house.

The vole's the dark blurry shape in the middle of the picture.
.
Only a fleeting glance and a rubbish photograph, but a fine, fat, unusually dark water vole in a field near my house. Even out of focus you can see the distinctive small ears, very different from a rat or mouse.
.
I revisited the bridge near Homebase hoping for another sighting, and spotted what looked like a very fresh feeding station, so I think I'd probably just missed a vole there.
.
Driving through Quoisley on Thursday night I saw a mink run across the road. This could be very bad news for our Whitchurch voles, so we all need to keep our eyes peeled.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Yeah to your first water vole of the year - hopefully the first of many.

Kath McGurl said...

Good to hear the voles are back. P*** off, Mink!

Dave said...

Hurrah for the vole!

Kate said...

Great, isn't it?