Thursday 29 August 2019

Very Sad Day











I knew this day would come eventually, but it was with a heavy heart I saw the planning application to build on the field where the water voles live. There's a full ecological report which outlines what's best for the water voles and stresses that they have legal protection, and the plan above does leave a buffer zone around the brook. But will the developers adhere to the regulations? In particular, will they require new householders not to own cats, as the ecological report advises? And what will happen to the pair of barn owls that live in the field? I can't see how they'll survive. I'm relieved to see Shropshire Wildlife Trust involved with post-building management, at least, and I myself will be up to the field regularly to check no one's breaking any laws.But I can't pretend it's not a blow to lose such a wonderful space for nature.

No comments: