Tuesday 26 September 2017

Big Vole, Little Vole





I've normally given up looking for water vole by late September, but there's been a flurry of activity at the Wood Yard this week. Now the vegetation's died back you can see several voles at work, feeding up on rhizomes for the winter. The top photo shows a nervous juvenile, and the second a large adult.

Worth mentioning that I had a nice chat with three teenage lads who wandered past and asked what I was looking for. So many youngsters are interested, if you catch them at the right time.

2 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Do you know I'd feel vulnerable in a situation like that. Sometimes we assume too much, too uncharitably.

Kate said...

In the past I've been sworn at and had stones thrown at me in the same spot. But mostly people are OK. I do love talking to youngsters, if they're interested.